Day of Engagement/Day of Action
The Emmanuel College Day of Engagement/Day of Action is a day to engage with the political, economic, and social challenges facing us. It is a call to renewed civic engagement among the scholars, students, and staff of our community and a call to open-minded dialogue with peers and colleagues of diverse backgrounds and views.
Are classes, activities and meetings canceled on the Day of Engagement/Day of Action?
No. However, our goal for the day is to incorporate our commitment to social justice into our classes, activities, and meetings on this day. In doing so, we become more engaged with the wider world.
How can I contribute to Emmanuel’s Day of Engagement/Day of Action?
We are looking for students, alumni, faculty, and staff to get involved in the Day of Engagement/Day of Action in a way that's meaningful to them. A few suggestions include:
- Incorporating a special topic into your course syllabus on that day;
- Inviting students to develop a social justice themed art installation as part of a course project;
- Taking students on a field trip;
- Offering a lecture, forum, or panel discussion to the entire community;
- Initiating a collection of food or other items to support those in need;
- Hosting a letter-writing or t-shirt making event on campus;
- Showing a film;
- Promoting activism on an important topic of the day;
- Using your professional expertise to provide wellness/self-care opportunities;
- Sponsoring a service project for neighborhood agencies or children/youth.
How do I participate?
If you would like to participate in any way, please post your action to social media using the hashtag #ECDayOfAction or email a brief description/photo of your contribution to PCDI@emmanuel.edu.
Friday, October 13, 2017